God So Loved The World Bible Study|
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that
whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (NIV)
1. What is the only way you can overcome the sinful desires of our sinful natures?
Note: When God created our first parents, Adam and Eve, He created them with certain desires such as hunger, thirst, sex, etc. While these were created by God, they were supposed to be created with the Holy Spirit indwelling Adam and Eve. When Adam sinned, the Spirit departed from him and his mind became a slave to the flesh. Thus the natural desires God created in our first parents became lusts. This is what they passed on to us. If you try to control these desires in your own strength, you will meet with nothing but failure.
2. What happens to your lifestyle when you walk in the Spirit?
Note: Notice that when Paul talks about the flesh in verse 19 he uses the word works because works are what we humans can do. In verse 22 he uses the word fruit, because it is the Holy Spirit that produces fruit; we simply bear the fruit.
3. What blessing does a Christian experience in Christ?
Note: The reason that there is no condemnation for the Christian who has accepted the truth as it is in Christ Jesus is because on the cross Christ condemned the law of sin that is in the flesh (read verses 2 and 3).
4. What will happen if you walk in the Spirit and do not live to please the flesh?
Note: God wants you to walk in the Spirit so that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in your life. This is not to save you but to witness that salvation.
5. Through what part of the body does the flesh or the Spirit control us?
Note: The mind is the battle ground in the Christian warfare. The question is, What is your mind occupied with? Those who are walking in the flesh are always thinking about pleasing the desires of their sinful nature. When you walk in the Spirit, you want to please Christ. This is the battle of the mind from which you cannot relax. The moment you do so, the devil comes in with all kind of sinful ideas.
6. What is the result of being carnal or fleshly minded?
Note: The word carnal means controlled by the sinful desires of the flesh, your sinful nature. The flesh can only bring death to you, not life, because all that the flesh can produce is sin and the wages of sin is death (see Romans 6:23).
7. When you are spiritually minded what two things do you have?
|Romans 8:6 (last part)||(i) _____________________________|
8. Why is the carnal mind, the mind controlled by the flesh, hostile to God?
9. What is the result of being controlled by the fleshly mind?
10. Who should the Christian allow to control his or her mind?
Note: By obeying the gospel you have said in your heart, Not I, but Christ. You have chosen not the flesh but the Spirit to control your life.
11. If Christs Spirit is dwelling in you, how should you consider your body?
12. If the Spirit controls you, what will happen to your mortal body?
Note: The mortal body is your sinful nature which cannot produce righteousness, but the Spirit can. The gospel does not only give you peace with God and the joy of salvation, but it can also give you victory over sin. Thats the wonderful thing about the gospel. It is the power of God to save you from the guilt and punishment of sin as well as from the power and slavery of sin.
13. If you have been born of the Spirit, what is your obligation?
Note: God says to every Christian, Because of your faith in Christ, you have been born of the Spirit; I have given you peace, but remember that, by choosing the gospel, by choosing Me, you have also chosen not to walk in the flesh but in the Spirit.
14. Who is the one that gives you real life?
Note: The source of real life is the Holy Spirit. When He comes and dwells in you He brings with Him the life of Christ which has conquered both sin and death.
15. Besides victory over sin, into what does the Spirit guide you?
16. What transformation takes place in your life when you walk in the Spirit?
17. Who actually does the work of sanctification in your life?
Note: The work of sanctification is the work of the Holy Spirit. Your part is to keep your eyes focused on Christ and to walk in the Spirit.
18. How should your baptism into Christs death affect you?
Note: Walking in newness of life means letting the Holy Spirit now control your life.
19. What kind of life will you live when you are walking in the Spirit?
20. What will you experience when you walk in the light of the gospel?
Note: Walking in the light is the same as walking in the power of the gospel, since Jesus said, I am the light of the world.
21. How much fruit (holy living) are you able to produce without Christ?
Note: Walking in the Spirit is the same as abiding in Christ. If we abide in Christ, we will bear much fruit and God will be pleased.
22. In whose strength was Christ able to do what He did?
Note: Living by the Father means living by the strength of the Father. In the same way, you must live in the strength of Christ. That is what Christian living is all about.
23. Why is Christian living so important in witnessing the gospel?
Note: The world judges your Christianity by your works. By your
love for your fellow men, said Jesus, all men will know that you are His
disciples (see John 13:34,35).
Bible Studies List